At the village of Sonnschied there are several magnificent views of the Hahnenbach valley and its surroundings before the descent into the valley begins. In the lower part we follow the course of the Steinbach until we reach the small village Rudolfshaus. From there it is another 800 m parallel to the Hahnenbach to the stage destination, the trout farm Reinhardtsmühle.
Safety informationThe Saar-Hunsrück Climb is a near-natural trail, 65% of which is over soft forest soil, grassy paths or along streams. However, this special quality can also lead to problems after longer periods of rain and make parts of the trail difficult to walk on. Therefore, sturdy shoes are highly recommended.
Tips and hintsTourist Information EdelSteinLand:
Phone: + 49 (0)6785 - 79 1400
Fax: + 49 6785 - 79 8 1400
Main street 419
Phone + 49 (0)6781 - 64 871
Getting thereA1 exit Mehring, direction Morbach, B327 to Morbach, continue on L160 to Herrstein.
A61 exit Bad Kreuznach, direction Idar-Oberstein, B41 to exit Herrstein/Fischbach, continue on L160 to Herrstein.
ParkingCar park Brühlstrasse, Herrstein
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
EquipmentThe Saar-Hunsrück Climb is a natural path that for 65% of its route is on soft forest floor, grass paths or alongside streams. But this special quality can result in problems after long periods of rain, making parts of the route difficult to walk. We therefore recommend wearing sturdy shoes.
Basic Equipment for Long-Distance Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- Tent (3- or 4-season)
- Stove (including fuel and utensils)
- Sleeping mat. Sleeping bag with suitable temperature rating.
- Toiletries and medication
- Toilet paper
Things to Bring if Staying in a Mountain Hut
- Toiletries and medication
- Quick-drying towel
- Ear plugs
- Sleeping bag liner
- Alpine club membership card if applicable / ID
- Coronavirus mask and hand sanitizer
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.